Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Shakespeare

But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.
Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,
Who is already sick and pale with grief
That thou, her maid, art far more fair than she.


Anyone who has lived in a family that has anything to do with theater can name the play that line came from, the speaker, and who he is speaking too.
Of course, who he is speaking to is kind of given away in the second line.
In any case it is an extremely famous quote. And growing up in a family that has theatrics to spare has given me an appreciation for Shakespeare that I know a lot of people don't have.

He is difficult to read, yes. But the man was pure genius.

Everything he wrote was in iambic pentameter which is, in my opinion, the hardest form of meter there is.
I just got done reading Julius Caesar and I (among 8 other people) was the only one who liked it. Sure, everyone else thought he was genius because of the difficult way in which he wrote... but if I'm not mistaken, (which I most likely am, so correct me if I'm wrong) I was the only one who said "I loved it" in our group discussion about the play.

Maybe it's because I grew up in a Shakespeare centered family.

Maybe it's because we have two copies of "Shakespeare's Complete Works" which has every play he ever wrote in it.

Maybe it's because of the way my aunts can read a line written for Juliet and make me believe that it was written for them.

Maybe it's because I'm weird.

I don't know why, all I know is that by the time this year is out I plan to have read all of his plays.

I like them.
:)

"Oh happy dagger!"

8 comments:

  1. i find shakespeare hard myself to read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I failed Shakespear tests when I was in high school :/ Kinda weird. Dickens is my favorite author, but I just find Shakespear hard to read.

    *Looks at sidebar* *Laughs hysterically* Why don't guys at the movie theater shave? Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a theatrical group in our city that is performing "A Midsummer Night's Dream in the next year (I forget exactly when, but it's not soon). I really want to go! Think we could get a bunch of Shakespeare lovers to come?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halestone-
    You're not alone. That's for sure
    guitargirl-
    Yeah... I can understand that.

    Hehe... thanks :)

    Laedelas Greenleaf-
    I know I'd be interested in going... my dad too. Since he was in that play when he was on tour haha... some funny stories about that tour there are... anyway, I think I could get some people to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate, Tia. I just finished reading "The Glass Managarie" and I am the only person that I know who liked it. I don't understand why other people didn't, but I know that I sure did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read Romeo and Juliet. But unfortunatly my whole family (not including myself) hates poetry, so I have never had the chance :P!

    ReplyDelete
  7. imove-
    Really?? I've heard about that one before...

    Katy-
    Oohhh that's so sad!! If you're not going against the rules you should try to read it. It's ahmazing

    ReplyDelete
  8. No there are no 'rules'. so I think as soon as I can find it I will read it :) lol!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting? I'll reply :)

Yes, even if you don't want me too ;)

And remember... I can read your comments, so I can delete them if I don't like you...

Oh and keep it clean... or my buds from the Secret Service might come down and have to "talk" to you.